Each year, I make these Cinnamon Cream Cheese Roll Ups for Christmas breakfast. I usually bake a batch at the end of November and tuck them in the freezer, because they freeze very well.
These heavenly breakfast treats are crispy on the outside with a crunchy brown sugar-cinnamon-butter crust, and creamy on the inside with a sweetened cream cheese that’s reminiscent of the filling in our Strawberry and Cream Tart recipe.
I might as well confess that I make them with WHITE BREAD — something we normally never eat — but once a year we do indulge. You can make these with whatever bread you like, and you’ll find it’s easier to roll up bread that is fresh and soft.
My family loves these cinnamon rollups, and they’ve become part of our holiday tradition. I especially love that they can be made ahead of time, so that Christmas morning can be a sweet, relaxed family time.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Here’s what you’ll need to make these tasty breakfast roll ups:
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 slices soft bread of your choice – We use plain white bread, but you can use whatever you like as long as the slices can be rolled.
3/4 cup packed brown sugar – Either light or dark brown sugar works fine.
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted – we like salted butter, but feel free to use unsalted, too.
You won’t need any fancy cooking equipment to make this recipe:
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife or kitchen scissors
- Mixing bowls
- Spreader knife
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment paper
Step by Step Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Roll bread slices with a rolling pin to flatten slightly.
Trim off the crusts. Beat the cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until combined. Divide the mixture among the bread slices and spread evenly.
Roll up slices tightly jelly-roll style, pressing on the edges to seal.
Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a shallow bowl. Generously brush each roll on all sides with the melted butter and roll in the brown sugar mix.
Arrange the cinnamon rollups on the parchment lined baking sheet bake them for 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Makes about 10 crispies.
You can also freeze the rollups. Store in an airtight container or bag and keep frozen until ready for use. To cook, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and arrange the crispies on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot and crispy.
Here’s the printable recipe card:
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Roll Ups
- 1 Sharp knife or kitchen scissors
- 1 Spatula
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 slices soft bread of your choice
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll bread slices with a rolling pin to flatten slightly, and trim off the crusts with a sharp knife or kitchen scissors.
- Beat the softened cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl until combined.
- Divide the mixture among the bread slices and spread evenly. Roll up slices tightly jelly-roll style, pressing on the edges to seal.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a shallow bowl. Generously brush each roll on all sides with the melted butter and roll in the brown sugar mix. Arrange the roll ups on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned and hot, about 10 minutes. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes and serve. Makes about 10 pieces.
Save for Later
If you use Pinterest to save ideas, here’s a handy pin: